(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)Tomato, Cucumber, and Basil Salad
4 fresh tomatoes, quartered and sliced
½ large cucumber, peeled, quartered, and sliced
½ cup fresh basil leaves
3 – 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to tasteNo-Meat Loaf
(1 loaf, about 12 slices)
1¼ cups rolled oats
1½ cups bread crumbs
¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
1 small onion
2 celery stalks
½ green bell pepper
One 14-ounce package ground beef meat substitute, or 2 cups cooked bulgur
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup plain tomato sauce
2 teaspoons mustard
½ teaspoon dried thyme and sage
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup ketchup or barbeque sauceMushroom Gravy
12 ounces button or cremini mushrooms
¼ cup water
¼ cup flour
1½ cup vegetable broth
1 – 2 tablespoons soy sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon pepper or to tasteBraised Kale
(Three 1-cup servings)
1 bunch kale
¼ cup water or vegetable broth
3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce or ½ teaspoon saltTomato, Cucumber, and Basil Salad
- Take the tomatoes, and take out the seed.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and then in quarters, and then each quarter into three pieces. Put them in the bowl.
- Take off the ends of the cucumber, and then use a peeler and make lines going straight down so it will have some flesh and some of the skin showing.
- Cut the cucumber in half, and cut again into half moon shape.
- Add in the cucumber into the tomato bowl.
- Take the basil, and stack them all up and then do a chiffonade (cut into a ribbon).
- Add in the basil into the bowl.
- Add in some nice freshly milled pepper.
- Add in a little salt.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar, drizzle some over the salad.
- Give the salad a nice mix.
- Ready to be served
(1 loaf, about 12 slices)
- Take the ground beef meat substitute, crumble it up.
- Add in the bread crumbs, the onion, the bell peppers, and the mustard.
- Add in the cumin, some thyme, the carrots, and the browned walnuts.
- Add in a little celery and the quick rolled oats.
- Add in the tomato sauce and some soy sauce into the mixture.
- Add in a couple of grinds of pepper.
- Mix everything evenly.
- Put the mixture in a pan, and put it into the oven for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- When the time over, take it out an just flip it over onto the cutting board.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then cut it into slices.
- Serve it with some mushroom gravy on top.
- Add in a little vegetable stock in a pan. Heat it.
- Add in the garlic, and sauté it for a while.
- Add in the stem of the kale first, and then the larger pieces, and then the rest of the kale.
- Add some more vegetable stock if needed.
- Add in some soy sauce, and let this cook for a few minutes.
- When the kale are tender and small, add in a little lemon juice. Mix.
- Ready to be served.