2. All have been enjoined to earn a living, and as for those who are incapable of doing so, it is incumbent on the Deputies of God and on the wealthy to make adequate provision for them. ~ The Kitab-i-Aqdas
3. http://suprememastertv.com.even though a Baha'i is permitted in his will to dispose of his wealth in the way he wishes, yet he is morally and conscientiously bound to always bear in mind, while writing his will, the necessity of his upholding the principle of Baha'u'llah regarding the social function of wealth, and the consequent necessity of avoiding its over-accumulation and concentration in a few individuals or groups of individuals.
~ The Kitab-i-Aqdas
4. If a person is incapable of earning a living, is stricken by dire poverty or becometh helpless, then it is incumbent on the wealthy or the Deputies to provide him with a monthly allowance for his subsistencehttp://suprememastertv.com. ~ The Kitab-i-Aqdas http://www.sacred-texts.com/bhi/bahaullah/ka.txt
5. Take heed that your words be purged from idle fancies and worldly desires and your deeds be cleansed from craftiness and suspicion. Dissipate not the wealth of your precious lives in the pursuit of evil and corrupt affection, nor let your endeavours be spent in promoting your personal interest. BE GENEROUS IN YOUR DAYS OF PLENTY, and be patient in the hour of loss. ~ Tablets of Bahá'u'lláh, page 138
6. The beginning of magnanimity is when man expendeth his wealth on himself, on his family and on the poorhttp://suprememastertv.com. ~ Tablets of Bahá'u'lláh, page 156
7. Ye are the trees of My garden; ye must give forth goodly and wondrous fruits, that ye yourselves and others may profit therefrom. Thus it is incumbent on every one to engage in crafts and professions, for therein lies the secret of wealth, O men of understanding! For results depend upon means, and the grace of God shall be all-sufficient unto you. Trees that yield no fruit have been and will ever be for the fire. ~ The Hidden Words of Bahá'u'lláh, page 80
8. THE RICH MUST GIVE OF THEIR ABUNDANCE they must soften their hearts and cultivate a compassionate intelligence, taking thought for those sad ones who are suffering from lack of the very necessities of life. ~ Paris Talks, The Sixth Principle – Means of Existence, page 153
9. THE VERDURE OF THE EARTH IS FOR EVERYONE. Therefore there should be for all humanity the utmost happiness, the utmost comfort, the utmost well-being. But if conditions are such that some are happy and comfortable and some in misery; some are accumulating exorbitant wealth and others are in dire want--under such a system it is impossible for man to be happy and impossible for him to win the good pleasure of God. God is kind to all. The good pleasure of God consists in the welfare of all the individual members of mankind. ~ Foundations of World Unity, page 41
10. Consider how the greatest men in the world--whether among prophets or philosophers--all have forfeited their own comfort, have sacrificed their own pleasure for the well-being of humanity. They have sacrificed their own lives for the body politic. They have SACRIFICED THEIR OWN WEALTH FOR THAT OF THE GENERAL WELFARE. They have forfeited their own honor for the honor of mankind. Therefore it becomes evident that this is the highest attainment for the world of humanity. We ask God to endow human souls with justice so that they may be fair, and may strive to provide for the comfort of all, that each member of humanity may pass his life in the utmost comfort and welfare. ~ Foundations of World Unity, page 42-43
11. But in the divine teachings EQUALITY IS BROUGHT ABOUT THROUGH A READY WILLINGNESS TO SHARE It is commanded as regards wealth that the rich among the people, and the aristocrats should, by their own free will and for the sake of their own happiness, concern themselves with and care for the poor. This equality is the result of the lofty characteristics and noble attributes of mankind. ~ Foundations of World Unity, page 44
12. If a wealthy man at the time of his death bequeaths a gift to the poor and miserable, and gives a part of his wealth to be spent for them, perhaps this action may be the cause of his pardon and forgiveness, and of his progress in the Divine Kingdom. ~ Some Answered Questions, Perfections are Without Limit, page 231
13. Hearts must be so cemented together, love must become so dominant that THE RICH SHALL MOST WILLINGLY EXTEND ASSISTANCE TO THE POOR and take steps to establish these economic adjustments permanently. If it is accomplished in this way, it will be most praiseworthy because then it will be for the sake of God and in the pathway of His service. For example, it will be as if the rich inhabitants of a city should say, "It is neither just nor lawful that we should possess great wealth while there is abject poverty in this community," and then WILLINGLY GIVE THEIR WEALTH TO THE POOR, RETAINING ONLY AS MUCH AS WILL ENABLE THEM TO LIVE COMFORTABLY ~ The Promulgation of Universal Peace, page 239
14. To state the matter briefly, the Teachings of Bahá'u'lláh advocate VOLUNTARY SHARING, and this is a greater thing than the equalization of wealth. For equalization must be imposed from without, while sharing is a matter of free choice. Man reacheth perfection through good deeds, voluntarily performed, not through good deeds the doing of which was forced upon him. And sharing is a personally chosen righteous act: that is, THE RICH SHOULD EXTEND ASSISTANCE TO THE POOR, THEY SHOULD EXPEND THEIR SUBSTANCE FOR THE POOR… ~ Selections from the Writings of `Abdu'l-Bahá, pages 114-115:
15. Wealth is praiseworthy in the highest degree, if it is acquired by an individual's own efforts and the grace of God, in commerce, agriculture, art and industry, and if it be expended for PHILANTHROPIC PURPOSES. Above all, if a judicious and resourceful individual should INITIATE MEASURES WHICH WOULD UNIVERSALLY ENRICH THE MASSES OF THE PEOPLE, THERE COULD BE NO GREATER UNDERTAKING THAN THIS, AND IT WOULD RANK IN THE SIGHT OF GOD AS THE SUPREME ACHIEVEMENT, for such a benefactor would supply the needs and insure the COMFORT AND WELL-BEING OF A GREAT MULTITUDE. ~ The Secret of Divine Civilization, page 24
16. WEALTH IS MOST COMMENDABLE, PROVIDED THE ENTIRE POPULATION IS WEALTHY. If, however, a few have inordinate riches while the rest are impoverished, and no fruit or benefit accrues from that wealth, then it is only a liability to its possessor. If, on the other hand, it is expended for the promotion of knowledge, the founding of elementary and other schools, the encouragement of art and industry, the training of orphans and the poor--in brief, IF IT IS DEDICATED TO THE WELFARE OF SOCIETY – ITS POSSESSOR WILL STAND OUT BEFORE GOD AND MAN as the most excellent of all who live on earth and will be accounted as one of the people of paradise. ~ The Secret of Divine Civilization, page 24
17. "There is no righteousness in turning your faces toward the East or the West, but he is righteous who believeth in God, and the last day, and the angels, and the Scriptures, and the Prophets; who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DISBURSETH HIS WEALTH TO HIS KINDRED, AND TO THE ORPHANS, AND THE NEEDY AND THE WAYFARER, AND THOSE WHO ASK… who observeth prayer, and payeth the legal alms, and who is of those who perform their covenant when they have covenanted, and are patient under ills and hardships, and in time of trouble: these are they who are just, and these are they who fear the Lord." ~ The Secret of Divine Civilization, page 95
18. Every soul may seek everlasting life through the breath of the Merciful. Life in this mortal world will quickly come to an end, and this EARTHLY GLORY, WEALTH, COMFORT AND HAPPINESS WILL SOON VANISH AND BE NO MORE. Summon ye the people to God and call the souls to the manners and conduct of the Supreme Concourse. To the orphans be ye kind fathers, and to the unfortunate a refuge and shelter. TO THE POOR BE A TREASURE OF WEALTH, and to the sick a remedy and healing. ~ Bahá'í World Faith, by `Abdu'l-Bahá, pages 216-217
19. The Bhiksu Sangha Buddhist Association
20. Think of the poor, offer them your help GIVE TO CHARITY, if you have the means to do it ~ Book of Truth, Teaching to the Householder Practitioners, page 905 Religion: Hệ Phái Khất Sĩ Việt Nam Kinh: Bộ Chơn Lý Phẩm: Pháp Học Cư Sĩ - Trang (905) Điều 7 & 8: Phải nghĩ đến kẻ nghèo khổ, để thương xót cấp hộ Phải lo làm việc bố thí, nếu mình có của
22. "If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without have given, nor would the stain of selfishness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift." ~ Itivuttaka Sutra
23. "Subhuti, do you think that you can measure all of the space in the Eastern Heavens?"
"No, Most Honored One. One cannot possibly measure all of the space in the Eastern Heavens."
"Subhuti, can space in all the Western, Southern, and Northern Heavens, both above and below, be measured?"
"No, Most Honored One. One cannot possibly measure all the space in the Western, Southern, and Northern Heavens."
"Well, Subhuti, the same is true of the merit of the disciple who practices COMPASSION AND CHARITY WITHOUT ANY ATTACHMENT TO APPEARANCES, without cherishing any idea of form. It is impossible to measure the merit they will accrue….” ~ Diamond Sutra, Chapter 4
24. "Subhuti, I will declare a truth to you. If a good man or a good woman filled over ten thousand galaxies of worlds with the seven treasures for each grain of sand in all those Ganges rivers, and gave it all away for the purpose of compassion, charity and giving alms, would this man or woman not gain great merit and spread much happiness?" Subhuti replied, "Very much so, Most Honored One." ~ Diamond Sutra, Chapter 11
25. The Buddha continued, "What do you think Subhuti? If a follower were to give away enough treasures to fill 3,000 universes, would a great blessing and merit incur to him or her?" Subhuti replied, "Honored one, such a follower would acquire considerable blessings and merit." The Lord Buddha said, "Subhuti, if such a blessing had any substantiality, if it were anything other than a figure of speech, the Most Honored One would not have used the words 'blessings and merit'." ~ Diamond Sutra, Chapter 19
26. "Subhuti, when someone is selflessly charitable, they should also practice being ethical by remembering that there is no distinction between one's self and the selfhood of others. Thus one practices charity by giving not only gifts, but through kindness and sympathy. PRACTICE KINDNESS AND CHARITY WITHOUT ATTACHMENT and you can become fully enlightened. Subhuti, what I just said about kindness does not mean that when someone is being charitable they should hold onto arbitrary conceptions about kindness, for kindness is, after all, only a word and charity needs to be spontaneous and selfless, done without regard for appearances." ~ Diamond Sutra, Chapter 23 http://www.diamond-sutra.com/diamond_sutra_text/page4.html )
32. Verily, the niggardly do not go to the world of the gods. Fools, indeed, do not praise giving. But the wise man, rejoicing in charity, becomes on that (account) happy in the other world. ~ Dhammapada Sutra 13:177
34. Bad conduct is the impurity of a woman; niggardliness is the impurity of the giver; evil deeds are impurities in this world and in the next. ~ Dhammapada Sutra 18:241
33. Let a man overcome anger by non-anger (gentleness), let him overcome evil by good, LET HIM OVERCOME THE MISER BY LIBERALITY, let him overcome the liar by truth. ~ Dhammapada Sutra 17:223
35. Cao Đài
36. If you have good fruits Sow the seeds to have more fruits later For if you discard the seeds You will have to beg for food some day. So HELP THE POOR AND TAKE CARE OF THE NEEDY And enjoy a next life of respect and riches. ~ The True Teaching of the Great Vehicle, Page 200
Religion: Cao Đài Scripture: Kinh Đại Thừa Chơn giáo Trang 200 Ðặng quả ngon thì ăn lấy hột, Gieo lại mà mai mốt còn ăn, Nhược bằng hưởng quả hột quăng, Ngày sau thèm khát xin ăn của ngườihttp://suprememastertv.com. Biết lo bố đức thi ân, Luân-hồi trở lại hưởng phần cao sang.
37. “http://suprememastertv.com.Those who have much money and understand what is right and wrong, but do not make the effort to do charity, instead they hold tight to their money and material possessions during time of calamity, this can actually lead to the loss of lives. Because of their selfishness and stinginess, they don’t do charity for the good of others, and they thus will suffer as a result.” ~ Selected Teachings of the Saints, Book 2
Scripture: Thánh Huấn Hiệp Tuyển, Q 2 Chương 5: Chơn Lý Bài 81: Kết Quả Của Sự Bố Thí “http://suprememastertv.com.Những ai tiền của dẫy đầy, hiểu rõ điều hư lẽ thật, mà không quyết tâm bồi công lập đức, cứ bo bo giữ của tiền vật chất trong thời kỳ khốn nguy nầy, cũng có thể hại đến sanh mạng được. Ấy bởi vì tánh ích kỷhttp://suprememastertv.com.bỏn sẻnhttp://suprememastertv.com. không bố thí trên việc làm lành, làm phải đối với nhơn sanh, tức nhiên phải chịu sự kết quả đau khổ.”
38. GIVE MONEY TO THE POOR, offer medicine to the sick AND BLESSED YOU WILL BE BY THE SAINTS AND SAGES. ~ The Way of Heaven, page 167
Kinh: Kinh Thiên Đạo Trang 167 Thí tiền, thí bạc, chẩn bần, Người đau thí thuốc, Thánh, Thần phước ban.
39. Christianity and Judaism
40. And the crowds were questioning him, saying, "Then what shall we do?" And he would answer and say to them, "The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise." ~ Luke 3:10-3:11, Holy Bible
41. GIVE TO EVERYONE WHO ASKS OF YOU, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. ~ Luke 6:30, Holy Bible
42. GIVE, AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN TO YOU; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you mete with it shall be measured to you again. ~ Luke 6:38, Holy Bible
43. Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” ~ Luke 12:13-12:15, Holy Bible
44. “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and GIVE TO THE NEEDY. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” ~ Luke 12:32-12:34, Holy Bible
45. And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” ~ Mark 10:21, Holy Bible
46. And Jesus sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.” ~ Mark 12:41-12:44, Holy Bible
47. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And SOLD THEIR POSSESSIONS AND GOODS, AND PARTED THEM TO ALL MEN, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat…with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people…. ~ Acts 2:44-2:47, Holy Bible
48. And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, and laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. ~ Acts 4:32-4:35, Holy Bible
49. I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE. ~ Acts 20:33-20:35, Holy Bible
50. For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness. As it is written, “WHOEVER GATHERED MUCH HAD NOTHING LEFT OVER, AND WHOEVER GATHERED LITTLE HAD NO LACK.” ~ 2 Corinthians 8:13-8:15, Holy Bible
51. EACH ONE MUST GIVE AS HE HAS DECIDED IN HIS HEART, not reluctantly or under compulsion, FOR GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. YOU WILL BE ENRICHED IN EVERY WAY TO BE GENEROUS IN EVERY WAY which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7-9:11, Holy Bible
52. “If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but YOU SAHLL OPEN YOUR HAND TO HIM AND LEND HIM SUFFICIENT FOR HIS NEED, whatever it may be. ~ Deuteronomy 15:7-15:8, Holy Bible
53. You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘YOU SHALL OPEN WIDE YOUR HAND TO YOUR BROTHER, TO THE NEEDY AND TO THE POOR, in your land.’ ~ Deuteronomy 15:10-15:11, Holy Bible
54. ONE GIVES FREELY, YET GROWS ALL THE RICHER; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. ~ Proverbs 11:25, Holy Bible
55. WHOEVER IS GENEROUS TO THE POOR LENDS TO THE LORD, and he will repay him for his deed. ~ Proverbs 19:17, Holy Bible
56. Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor. ~ Proverbs 22:9, Holy Bible
57. WHOEVER GIVES TO THE POOR WILL NOT WANT… ~ Proverbs 22:27, Holy Bible
59. BLESSED IS THE ONE WHO CONSIDERS THE POOR! In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him; the Lord protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies. ~ Psalms 41:1-41:2, Holy Bible
60. On Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, while fasting and praying for a good year, Jews are told through the words of the Prophet Isaiah, that fasting and prayers are not enough; they must work to end oppression and "SHARE THY BREAD WITH THE HUNGRY." ~ Isaiah 58:6-58:7, Holy Bible
61. "'Ye shall walk after the Lord your God'. But how can a man walk after God who is a devouring fire? It means, walk after His attributes: clothe the naked, visit the sick, comfort the mourner, bury the dead. ~ Talmud, Sota 14a
63. THE IMPARTING BY A MAN TO OTHERS OF HIS WEALTH IS CALLED “KINDNESS”. The teaching others what is good, is called "the exercise of fidelity." The finding a man who shall benefit the kingdom, is called "benevolence." ~ Teng Wen Gong I, Mencius 分人以財謂之惠，教人以善謂之忠，為天下得人者謂之仁。 ~孟子，滕文公上
64. They accumulate wealth and yet are able to part with it to help the needy; they rest in what gives them satisfaction and yet can seek satisfaction elsewhere when it is desirable to do so. When you find wealth within your reach, do not try to get it by improper means; when you meet with calamity, do not try to escape from it by improper means., ~ Li Ki, Qu Li I 積而能散，安安而能遷。臨財毋茍得，臨難毋茍免。 ~禮記，曲禮上
65. By gaining the people, the kingdom is gained, and, by losing the people, the kingdom is lost. On this account, the ruler will first take pains about his own virtue. Possessing virtue will give him the people. Possessing the people will give the territory. Possessing the territory will give him its wealth. Possessing the wealth, he will have resources for expenditure. Virtue is the root; wealth is the result. If he make the root his secondary object, and the result his primary, he will only wrangle with his people, and teach them rapine. Hence, the accumulation of wealth is the way to scatter the people; and the letting it be scattered among them is the way to collect the people. ~Li Ki, Da Xue 有德此有人，有人此有土，有土此有財，有財此有用。德者本也，財者末也，外本內末，爭民施奪。是故財聚則民散，財散刖民聚。 ~禮記，大學
66. Hòa Hảo Buddhism
67. Lend your extra money to the needy SHARE YOUR WEALTH AND BE ENTHRONED IN HEAVEN Disdain poverty, and riches is short-lived GIVE, instead, TO SOW THE SEED OF COMPASSION. ~ Prophecy Expounding, page 5
Scripture: Sấm Giảng Thi Văn Trang 5 Của dư cho mượn mới là, Hảo tâm bố thí ngọc-tòa được lên. Chê nghèo, giàu nọ đâu bền, Chi bằng bố đức lập nền từ-bi.
68. Take heed, the rich and prosperous Open your heart and help the poor. ~ Wisdom of a Mad Man, page 61
Scripture: Kệ Dân của Người Khùng, Q. 2 Khuyên những kẻ giàu sang có của Hãy mở lòng thương xót dân nghèo (trang 61)
69. Men of wealth, possessing riches Share them with others, don’t keep it just for yourself Whoever wishes to find the ultimate Truth Then rid yourself of this selfish tendency. (page 76) ~ Wisdom of a Mad Man, Book 2,page 61
Scripture: Kệ Dân của Người Khùng, Q. 2 Những người có của tiền dư Hãy nên bố thí dành tư làm gì Ai muốn tầm Đạo cả cao sâu Thì hãy dẹp tánh tình ích kỷ (trang 76)
70. MERITS ARE GAINED THROUGH WORKS OF CHARITY Virtues are borne through loving heart to uplift sentient beings The attainment of a Saint and Buddha status Result charity, and the love to deliver fellow beings. ~ Illuminate The Way, Book 3, page 1175
Kinh: Hiển Đạo III Trang 1175 Phước do bố thí mà có Đức do lòng cứu độ mà sanh Ngôi Tiên quả Phật được thành Do điều bố thí, do tình độ dân.
72. "The husband and wife of the house should not turn away any who comes at eating time and asks for food. If food is not available, a place to rest, water for refreshing one's self, a reed mat to lay one's self on, and pleasing words entertaining the guest--these at least never fail in the houses of the good." ~ Apastamba Dharma Sutra 8:2
73. "When help is rendered by weighing the receiver's need and not the donor's reward, its goodness grows greater than the sea." ~ Tirukkural 11: 103
74. "He is liberal who gives to anyone who asks for alms, to the homeless, distressed man who seeks food; success comes to him in the challenge of battle, and for future conflicts he makes an ally. He is no friend who does not give to a friend, to a comrade who comes imploring for food; let him leave such a man--his is not a home-- and rather seek a stranger who brings him comfort. Let the rich man satisfies one who seeks help; and let him look upon the long view: For wealth revolves like the wheels of a chariot, coming now to one, now to another. ~ Rig Veda 10.117.1-6
75. Let him, without tiring, always offer sacrifices and perform works of charity with faith; for offerings and CHARITABLE WORKS MADE WITH FAITH AND LAWFULLY-EARNED MONEY, PROCURE ENDLESS REWARDS. ~ Manu Smriti 4:226
76. Whatever (merit a man gains by) reading the Veda, by sacrificing, by charitable gifts, (or by) worshipping (Gurus and gods), the king obtains a sixth part of that in consequence of his duly protecting (his kingdom). ~ Manu Samhita 8:305
77. Let him always practise, according to his ability, with a cheerful heart, the duty of liberality, both by sacrifices and by charitable works, if he finds a worthy recipient (for his gifts.) ~ Manu Samhita 4:227
78. If he is asked, let him always give something, be it ever so little, without grudging; for a worthy recipient will (perhaps) be found who saves him from all (guilt). ~ Manu Samhita 4:228
79. A giver of water obtains the satisfaction (of his hunger and thirst), a giver of food imperishable happiness, a giver of sesamum desirable offspring, a giver of a lamp a most excellent eyesight. A giver of land obtains land, a giver of gold long life, a giver of a house most excellent mansions, a giver of silver (rupya) exquisite beauty (rupa), a giver of a garment a place in the world of the moon, a giver of a horse (asva) a place in the world of the Asvins… The gift of the Veda (wisdom) surpasses all other gifts, water, food, cows, land, clothes, sesamum, gold… Veda means wisdom.
~ Manu Samhita 4:229-4:233
80. For whatever purpose (a man) bestows any gift, for that same purpose he receives (in his next birth) with due honour its (reward). Both he who respectfully receives (a gift), and he who respectfully bestows it, go to heaven; in the contrary case (they both fall) into hell. ~ Manu Samhita 4:234-4:235
81. One should give, according to one's ability, wealth to Brahmanas (Hindu priest caste) learned in the Veda (wisdom) and living alone; (thus) one obtains after death heavenly bliss.
Brahmana means Hindu priest caste. Veda means wisdom.
~ The Laws of Manu, 11:6
83. You shall honor your parents and regard the relatives, the orphans, and the poor. You shall treat the people amicably. You shall observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and give the obligatory charity (Zakat)." ~ Qur’an 2:83
84. t is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the Prophets; and GIVETH HIS WEALTH, for love of Him, TO KINSFOLK AND TO ORPHANS AND THE NEEDY AND THE WAYFARER AND TO THOSE WHO ASK, and to set slaves free; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor due….Such are they who are sincere. Such are the God fearing. ~ Qur’an 2:177
85. You shall spend in the cause of GOD; do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction. YOU SHALL BE CHARITABLE; GOD LOVES THE CHARITABLE. ~ Qur’an 2:195
86. They ask you about giving: say, "THE CHARITY YOU GIVE SHALL GO TO THE PARENTS, THE RELATIVES, THE ORPHANS, THE POOR, AND THE TRAVELING ALIEN." Any good you do, GOD is fully aware thereof. ~ Qur’an 2:215
87. If you declare your charities, they are still good. But if you keep them anonymous, and give them to the poor, it is better for you, and remits more of your sins. GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do. ~ Qur’an 2:271
88. THOSE WHO GIVE TO CHARITY NIGHT AND DAY, SECRETLY AND PUBLICLY, RECEIVE THEIR RECOMPENSE FROM THEIR LORD; they will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve. ~ Qur’an 2:274
89. You cannot attain righteousness until you give to charity from the possessions you love. WHATEVER YOU GIVE TO CHARITY, GOD IS FULLY AWARE THEREOF. ~ Qur’an 3:92
90. "who (the righteous) give to charity during the good times, as well as the bad times. They are suppressors of anger, and pardoners of the people. GOD LOVES THE CHARITABLE." ~ Qur’an 3:134
91. Let not those who withhold and hoard God’s provisions think that this is good for them; it is bad for them. For they will carry their hoarding around their necks on the Day of Resurrection. God is the ultimate inheritor of the heavens and the earth. ~ Qur’an 3:180
92. During distribution of the inheritances, if relatives, orphans, and needy persons are present, you shall give them therefrom, and treat them kindly. ~ Qur’an 4:8
93. For each of you, we have designated shares from the inheritance left by the parents and the relatives. Also those related to you through marriage, you shall give them their due share. GOD witnesses all things. ~ Qur’an 4:33
94. CHARITIES SHALL GO TO THE POOR, THE NEEDY, the workers who collect them, the new converts, to free the slaves, to those burdened by sudden expenses, in the cause of GOD, and to the traveling alien. Such is GOD's commandment. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise. ~ Qur’an 9:60
95. Therefore, you shall give the relatives their rightful share (of charity), as well as the poor, and the traveling alien. This is better for those who sincerely seek GOD's pleasure; they are the winners. ~ Qur’an 30:38
96. A portion of their money was set aside for the beggar and the needy. ~ Qur’an 51:19
97. "They feed with food the needy wretch, the orphan, and the prisoner, for love of Him, saying, 'We wish for no reward nor thanks from you.'" ~ Qur’an 76:8-76:9
98. "There is a key for everything, and THE KEY TO PARADISE IS LOVE FOR THE POOR." --Hadith, reported by Ibn Umar
99. He [God] also left the door open for more charitable works, to give the righteous a chance to earn even more credit - up to 700 times - by paying more to charity. ~ Qur’an 2:261
100. O you who have attained to faith! Do not deprive your charitable deeds of all worth by stressing your own benevolence and hurting [the feelings of the needy], as does he who spends his wealth only to be seen and praised by men, and believes not in God and the Last Day: for his parable is that of a smooth rock with [a little] earth upon it - and then a rainstorm smites it and leaves it hard and bare. Such as these shall have no gain whatever from all their [good] works: for God does not guide people who refuse to acknowledge the truth. ~ Qur’an 2:264
101. O you who have attained to faith! SPEND ON OTHERS OUT OF THE GOOD THINGS WHICH YOU MAY HAVE ACQUIRED, and out of that which We bring forth for you from the earth; and choose not for your spending the bad things which you yourselves would not accept without averting your eyes in disdain. And know that God is self-sufficient, ever to be praised. ~ Qur’an 2:267
102. It is not for thee [O Prophet] to make people follow the right path, since it is God [alone] who guides whom He wills. And WHATEVER GOOD YOU MAY SPEND ON OTHERS IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, provided that you spend only out of a longing for God's countenance: for, WHATEVER GOOD YOU MAY SPEND WILL BE REPAID UNTO YOU IN FULL, and you shall not be wronged. ~ Qur’an 2:272
103. [And give] unto [such of] the needy who, being wholly wrapped up in God's cause, are unable to go about the earth [in search of livelihood]….And whatever good you may spend [on them], verily, God knows it all. ~ Qur’an 2:273
104. …those who are constant in prayer and spend on others out of what We provide for them as sustenance: it is they, they who are truly believers! Theirs shall be great dignity in their Sustainer's sight, and forgiveness of sins, and a most excellent sustenance. ~ Qur’an 8:3-8:4
106. These it is that shall receive a twofold reward for having been patient in adversity, and having repelled evil with good, and having spent on others out of what We provided for them as sustenance… ~ Qur’an 28:54
107. Only they [truly] believe in Our messages who, whenever they are conveyed to them…and extol their Sustainer’s limitless glory and praise; and who are never filled with false pride…and who spend on others out of what We provide for them as sustenance. ~ Qur’an 32:15-32:16
108. And SPEND ON OTHERS out of what We have provided for you as sustenance, ere there come a time when death approaches any of you, and he then says, "O my Sustainer! If only Thou wouldst grant me a delay for a short while, so that I could give in charity and be among the righteous!" ~ Qur’an 63:10
109. And do not overlay the truth with falsehood, and do not knowingly suppress the truth; and be constant in prayer, and SPEND IN CHARITY, and bow down in prayer with all who thus bow down. ~ Qur’an 2:42-2:43
110. But as for those from among them who are deeply rooted in knowledge, and the believers who believe in that which has been bestowed upon thee from on high as well as that which was bestowed from on high before thee, and those who are [especially] constant in prayer, AND SPEND IN CHARITY, and all who believe in God and the Last Day – THESE IT IS UNTO WHOM WE SHALL GRANT A MIGHTY REWARD.
~ Qur’an 4:162
111. …. And God said: "Behold, I shall be with you! If you are constant in prayer, and SPEND IN CHARITY, and believe in My apostles and aid them, and offer up unto God a goodly loan, I will surely efface your bad deeds and bring you into gardens through which running waters flow. But he from among you who, after this, denies the truth, will indeed have strayed from the right path!" ~ Qur’an 5:12
112. And ordain Thou for us what is good in this world as well as in the life to come: behold, unto Thee have we turned in repentance!" [God] answered: "With My chastisement do I afflict whom I will - but MY GRACE OVERSPREADS EVERYTHING: AND SO I SHALL CONFER IT ON THOSE WHO ARE CONSCIOUS OF ME AND SPEND IN CHARITY… ~ Qur’an 7:156
113. Only he should visit or tend God's houses of worship who believes in God and the Last Day, and is constant in prayer, and SPENDS IN CHARITY, and stands in awe of none but God: FOR ONLY SUCH AS THESE MAY HOPE TO BE AMONG THE RIGHT-GUIDED! ~ Qur’an 9:18
115. And We bestowed upon him Isaac and [Isaacs son] Jacob as an additional gift and caused all of them to be righteous men, and made them leaders who would guide [others] in accordance with Our behest: for We inspired them [with a will] to do good works, and to be constant in prayer, and to dispense charity ~ Qur’an 21:72-21:73
116. ….And God will most certainly succour him who succours His cause: for, verily, God is most powerful, almighty, [well aware of] those who, [even] if We firmly establish them on earth, remain constant in prayer, and GIVE IN CHARITY, and enjoin the doing of what is right and forbid the doing of what is wrong; but with God rests the final outcome of all events. ~ Qur’an 22:40-22:41
117. In the houses [of worship] which God has allowed to be raised so that His name be remembered in them, there [are such as] extol His limitless glory at morn and evening – people whom neither [worldly] commerce nor striving after gain can divert from the remembrance of God, and from constancy in prayer, and from charity… [and who only hope] that God may reward them in accordance with the best that they ever did, and give them, out of His bounty, more [than they deserve]: for, God grants sustenance unto whom He wills, beyond all reckoning. ~ Qur’an 24:36-24:38
118. These are messages of the Qur’an - a divine writ clear in itself and clearly showing the truth: a guidance and a glad tiding to the believers who are CONSTANT IN PRAYER AND SPEND IN CHARITY: FOR IT IS THEY, THEY WHO IN THEIR INNERMOST ARE CERTAIN OF THE LIFE TO COME! ~ Qur’an 27:1-27:3
120. Say thou, [O Prophet:] “I am but a mortal like you. It has been revealed to me that your God is the One God: go, then, straight towards Him and seek His forgiveness!” And woe unto those who ascribe divinity to aught beside Him, [and] those who do not spend in charity: for it is they, they who [thus] deny the truth of the life to come! ~ Qur’an 41:6-41:7
121. Recite, then, [only] as much of it as you may do with ease, and be constant in prayer, and SPEND IN CHARITY, and [thus] lend unto God a goodly loan: FOR WHATEVER GOOD DEED YOU MAY OFFER UP IN YOUR OWN BEHALF, YOU SHALL TRULY FIND IT WITH GOD – YEA, BETTER, AND RICHER IN REWARD. And [always] seek God's forgiveness: behold, God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace! ~ Qur’an 73:20
122. And withal, they were not enjoined aught but that they should worship God, sincere in their faith in Him alone, turning away from all that is false; and that they should be constant in prayer; and that they should SPEND IN CHARITY: FOR THIS IS A MORAL LAW ENDOWED WITH EVER-TRUE SOUNDNESS AND CLARITY. ~ Qur’an 98:5
129. By Guru's Grace, your face shall be radiant. Chanting the Naam (Divine Word), YOU SHALL RECEIVE THE BENEFITS OF GIVING CHARITY and taking cleansing baths.
Naam means Divine Word.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 46
130.There are five prayers and five times of day for prayer; the five have five names. Let the first be truthfulness, the second honest living, and the third CHARITY IN THE NAME OF GOD. Let the fourth be good will to all, and the fifth the praise of the Lord. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 141
131. Donations to charity, meditation and penance - above all of them is the Naam (Divine Word).
Naam means Divine Word.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page401
133. With great effort and exertion, the miser works to gather in the riches of Maya. He does not give anything in charity or generosity, and he does not serve the Saints; his wealth does not do him any good at all. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 712
124. Being such, their spirits might pass over the Tai mountain and find it no obstacle to them they might enter the greatest deep pool, and not be wet by them; they might occupy the lowest and smallest positions without being distressed by them. Theirs was the fullness of heaven and earth; THE MORE THEY GAVE TO OTHERS, THE MORE THEY HAD. ~ Zhuangzi, Tian Zi-Fang
125. Him who imparts of his virtue to others we call a sage; HIM WHO IMPARTS OF HIS WEALTH TO OTHERS WE CALL A MAN OF WORTH. ~ Zhuangzi, Xu Wu-gui
126. The sage does not accumulate (for himself). The more that he expends for others, the more does he possess of his own; THE MORE THAT HE GIVES TO OTHERS, THE MORE DOES HE HAVE HIMSELF. ~ Tao Te Ching 聖人不積，既以為人己愈有，既以與人己愈多。 ~道德經
127. Do something kind to others based on virtue, HELPING OTHERS WITH MATERIAL DONATION, sympathizing the poor and taking pity on the suffered. ~ The 8th Level of Celestial Scripture, Chapter 3 of the Guideline to Sincerity and Brotherhood 以道義行仁慈。利物濟生。愍貧恤苦。 ~八品仙經，誠悌導引品第三
134. Tibetan Buddhism
135. Remember sometimes the deprived, And GIVE ALMS TO THOSE IN NEED. ~ Sixty Songs of Milarepa, page 628
136. I observe the world from the point of view of money. In the beginning, money seems like a treasure. Later, one gets bound by it like a slave. Just like a bee collecting nectar from flowers, After losing it all, you’ve wasted your hard work for nothing. Therefore, one should forsake money just like casting away a pair of worn-out shoes, Devote your heart to the Buddhist teachings and GIVE CHARITY WHEREVER YOU ARE. Then at the time of death, you will have no regrets. ~ The Hundred Thousand Songs, Chapter 21, page 232
137. Wealth is like the morning dew on the tip of the grass. Without greed and attachment, one can share it with others. One works hard to collect money and treasure, And eventually, it’s all gone like morning dew and frost. So, once you become wealthy, you should be alert. TRY TO GIVE CHARITY, LESSEN POSSESSIVENESS AND ACT RIGHTEOUSLY. Though sitting in the warm sun is so comfortable, When a sudden storm arrives, it makes it hard to breath. When you happen to meet a helpless person, You should be generous and help him to get out of his trouble ~ The Hundred Thousand Songs, Chapter 55, page 688
138. When you are rich, you don’t give charity. Being extremely stingy you don’t even want to cook enough food for yourself. Such a person, how could he share anything with others? Watching the treasure he has collected so closely, It is just like a child who likes collecting toys and never gets fed up. When your possessions are taken by others, At the time of death, your hatred and stinginess are like a burning fire.
Half way there, the realm of the hungry ghosts appears in front of you. Confused and lost, you are forced to go by your desires and greed. When you see others enjoying your wealth, Stinginess burns you like a fire, hatred stabs you like a knife. The repayment for your aggression and the [bad] karma (retribution) you have created is never ending.
Karma means retribution.
~ The Hundred Thousand Songs, Chapter 61, page 728