2. Beware lest ye exchange the Wine of God for your own wine, FOR IT WILL STUPEFY YOUR MINDS, AND TURN YOUR FACES AWAY FROM THE COUNTENANCE OF GOD, the All-Glorious, the Peerless, the Inaccessible. Approach it not, for it hath been forbidden unto you by the behest of God, the Exalted, the Almighty. ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 227
3. In this Book He, moreover, prescribes the obligatory prayers; designates the time and period of fasting…condemns cruelty to animals, idleness and sloth, backbiting and calumny; censures divorce; INTERDICTS GAMBLING, THE USE OF OPIUM, WINE AND OTHER INTOXICATING DRINKS… ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 14
4. GOD HATH PROHIBITED UNTO MEN THE DRINKING OF WINE, and the unlawfulness thereof hath been revealed and recorded in the Book of God, and the doctors of the age (may God multiply the like of them) have unanimously prohibited unto men this abominable action; yet withal do some commit it. Now the punishment of this action falls on these heedless persons, while those manifestations of the glory of sanctity [continue] holy and undefiled: unto their sanctity all Being, whether of the unseen or the seen, testifieth. ~ A Traveler's Narrative, by `Abdu'l-Bahá, page 73
5. As to opium, it is foul and accursed. God protect us from the punishment He inflicteth on the user. According to the explicit Text of the Most Holy Book, IT IS FORBIDDEN, AND ITS USE IS UTTERLY CONDEMNED. Reason showeth that smoking opium is a kind of insanity, and experience attesteth that the user is completely cut off from the human kingdom.
May God protect all against the perpetration of an act so hideous as this, an act which layeth in ruins the very foundation of what it is to be human, and which causeth the user to be dispossessed for ever and ever. For opium fasteneth on the soul so that the user's conscience dieth, his mind is blotted away, his perceptions are eroded. It turneth the living into the dead. It quencheth the natural heat. No greater harm can be conceived than that which opium inflicteth. Fortunate are they who never even speak the name of it; then think how wretched is the user. ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 238
6. O Divine Providence! Bestow Thou in all things purity and cleanliness upon the people of Bahá. GRANT THAT THEY BE FREED FROM ALL DEFILEMENT, AND RELEASED FROM ALL ADDICTIONS.
Save them from committing any repugnant act, unbind them from the chains of every evil habit, that they may live pure and free, wholesome and cleanly, worthy to serve at Thy Sacred Threshold and fit to be related to their Lord. DELIVER THEM FROM INTOXICATING DRINKS AND TOBACCO, SAVE THEM, RESCUE THEM, FROM THIS OPIUM THAT BRINGETH ON MADNESS, suffer them to enjoy the sweet savours of holiness, that they may drink deep of the mystic cup of heavenly love and know the rapture of being drawn ever closer unto the Realm of the All-Glorious.
For it is even as Thou hast said: `All that thou hast in thy cellar will not appease the thirst of my love--bring me, O cup-bearer, of the wine of the spirit a cup full as the sea!' ~ Selections from the Writings of `Abdu'l-Bahá, page 149
7. GAMBLING AND THE USE OF OPIUM HAVE BEEN FORBIDDEN UNTO YOU. Eschew them both, O people, and be not of those who transgress.
BEWARE OF USING ANY SUBSTANCE THAT INDUCETH SLUGGISHNESS AND TORPOR IN THE HUMAN TEMPLE AND INFLICTETH HARM ON THE BODY. We, verily, desire for you naught save what shall profit you, and to this bear witness all created things, had ye but ears to hear. ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 75
8. I wish to say that, in the sight of God, THE SMOKING OF TOBACCO IS A THING WHICH IS BLAMED AND CONDEMNED, VERY UNCLEAN, AND OF WHICH THE RESULT IS BY DEGREES INJURIOUS. Besides it is a cause of expense and of loss of time and it is a harmful habit. So, for those who are firm in the Covenant, it is a thing reprobated by the reason and by tradition, the renouncement of which giveth gradual repose and tranquility, permitteth one to have stainless hands and a clean mouth, and hair which is not pervaded by a bad odor. ~ Baha’i World Faith, by `Abdu'l-Bahá, page 335
9. IT HATH BEEN FORBIDDEN YOU TO SMOKE OPIUM. We, truly, have prohibited this practice through a most binding interdiction in the Book. Should anyone partake thereof, assuredly he is not of Me. Fear God, O ye endued with understanding! ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 88
10. O ye, God's loved ones! Experience hath shown HOW GREATLY THE RENOUNCING OF SMOKING, OF INTOXICATING DRINK, AND OF OPIUM, CONDUCETH TO HEALTH AND VIGOUR, TO THE EXPANSION AND KEENESS OF MIND AND TO BODILY STRENGTH. There is today a people who strictly avoid tobacco, intoxicating liquor and opium.
This people is far and away superior to the others, for strength and physical courage, for health, beauty and comeliness. A single one of their men can stand up to ten men of another tribe. This hath proved true of the entire people: that is, member for member, each individual of this community is in every respect superior to the individuals of other communities. ~ Selections from the Writings of `Abdu'l-Bahá, page 150
11. O ye lovers of God! In this, the cycle of Almighty God, violence and force, constraint and oppression, are one and all condemned. IT IS, HOWEVER, MANDATORY THAT THE USE OF OPIUM BE PREVENTED BY ANY MEANS WHATSOEVER, that perchance the human race may be delivered from this most powerful of plagues. And otherwise, woe and misery to whoso falleth short of his duty to his Lord. ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, pages 238-239
12. Regarding hashish you have pointed out that some…have become habituated to its use. Gracious God! This is the worst of all intoxicants, and its prohibition is explicitly revealed. Its use causeth the disintegration of thought and the complete torpor of the soul.
How could anyone seek the fruit of the infernal tree, and by partaking of it, be led to exemplify the qualities of a monster? How could one use this forbidden drug, and thus deprive himself of the blessings of the All-Merciful? ALCOHOL CONSUMETH THE MIND AND CAUSETH MAN TO COMMIT ACTS OF ABSURDITY, BUT THIS OPIUM, this foul fruit of the infernal tree, AND THIS WICKED HASHISH EXTINGUISH THE MIND, FREEZE THE SPIRIT, PETRIFY THE SOUL, WASTE THE BODY AND LEAVE MAN FRUSTRATED AND LOST. ~ The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, page 239
13. This nature and constitution is innate, and God has given it equally to all mankind. But man begins little by little to accustom himself to poison by taking a small quantity each day, and gradually increasing it, until he reaches such a point that he cannot live without a gram of opium every day. The natural capacities are thus completely perverted. Observe how much the natural capacity and constitution can be changed, until by different habits and training they become entirely perverted. ~ Baha’i World Faith, by Abdu'l-Bahá, page 320
14. The Bhiksu Sangha Buddhist Association
15. “http://suprememastertv.com. The fifth precept: No intoxicants Intoxicant is a poison you must abstain from So that in the future lives far ahead You may avoid the dark and evil things.” ~ Book of Truth, page 924
Kinh: Bộ Chơn Lý Trang 924 “http://suprememastertv.com. Năm gìn giới cấm: Say sưa, Rượu kia chất độc nguyện chừa bỏ ra. Đặng cho những kiếp về xa Tránh điều mê muội vạy tà tối tăm.”
17. To refrain from killing. To refrain from stealing. To refrain from adulterous or promiscuous sexual activities. To refrain from false speech. TO REFRAIN FROM DRUGS AND ALCOHOL. ~ The Five Precepts, The Pali Canon
18. ALCOHOL IS THE ROOT OF IMMORALITY AND EVILS. Refrain from it and you’ll stay away from sins. ~ Mahaparinirvana-sutra
19. A disciple of the Buddha should not intentionally consume alcoholic beverages, as THEY ARE THE SOURCE OF COUNTLESS OFFENSES. If he but offers a glass of wine to another person, his retribution will be to have no hands for five hundred lifetimes. How could he then consume liquor himself! Indeed, a Bodhisattva should not encourage any person or any other sentient being to consume alcohol, much less take any alcoholic beverages himself. A disciple should not drink any alcoholic beverages whatsoever. If instead, he deliberately does so or encourages others to do so, he commits a secondary offense. ~ Brahmajala Sutra
20. He who destroys life, who speaks untruth, who in this world takes what is not given to him, who goes to another man's wife, and he who gives himself to drinking intoxicating liquors, he, even in this world, digs up his own root. ~ Dhammapada Sutra, 18:246-247
21. “And which are the six doors of dissipating wealth? Drink, frequenting the streets at unseemly hours, haunting fairs, gambling, associating with evil friends, idleness.” ~ Sigalovada Sutra
22. ‘These are, young householder, the six dangers of drink; the actual loss of wealth; increase of quarrels; susceptibility to disease; an evil reputation; indecent exposure; ruining one’s intelligence.’ ~ Sigalovada Sutra
23. ‘Six, young householder, are the perils of gambling: if the man wins, he is hated; if he loses, he mourns his lost wealth; waste of wealth; his word has no weight in an assembly(a court of law); he is despised by his friends and companions; he is not sought in marriage, for people will say that a man who is a gambler will never make a good husband.’ ~ Sigalovada Sutra
24. “… Blessed One, for example, a person might drink wine and BECOME INTOXICATED, NOT EVEN KNOWING WHO HE IS HIMSELF, UNABLE TO DISTINGUISH RIGHT AND WRONG, unable to recognise his mother, his sisters or his daughters; he falls head over heels and soils his whole body with urine and excrement; later he becomes sober and learns for some reason what befell him and reflects how useless alcohol is and decides to rid himself of all his sins. Then he thoroughly trains himself to regard the drinking of alcohol as utterly useless, and gives it up.” ~ Nirvana Sutra
25. Cao Đài
26. Why must we avoid consuming intoxicants? First, I will tell why intoxicants are harmful to the physical body…. When you drink wine, it runs through your organs, and your heart…is also penetrated by this intoxicant, causing it to overwork, to labor much harder than what is arranged by nature, pumping the blood to flow irregularly, thereby the lung has not enough time to purify the blood. The polluted blood is then returned to body, sending the foul stuff into the organs.
These organs then get sick, more so every day, losing their strength, and eventually die, then our body will die too. Many people have half their body die, as a result of wine. Now I’ll tell you about its harm to the spirit, which is the entity that embraces your entire body like a cover. Its center is the brain…. the brain is controlled by the blood and when the blood flow is irregular, it causes our mind to scatter. Thus, we can’t be calm to function; our body becomes uncontrollable, and we behave like animals.
Once we lose our human status, we can’t expect to rise to the ranks of the sages, saints, and Buddha. Also, when our mind is uncontrollable, we leave our door open for negative spirits to enter, thus leading us to do many sinful things, and causing us to be bound forever by the cycle of reincarnation. Therefore, I forbid you to drink wine! ~ Divine Messages, Book 1, Lesson 64
Scripture: Thánh Ngôn Hiệp Tuyển Quyển 1 – Bài 64
Vì sao mà phải giới tửu?
Trước Thầy nói vì cớ nào rượu làm hại cho thân thể con người về phần xác.
Hình chất con người vẫn là thú, phải ăn uống mới nuôi sự sống, như rượu uống vào tỳ vị nó chạy vào ngũ tạng lục phủ đủ hết, thì trái tim con người chẳng khác nào như cái máy chánh để trữ sự sống, cũng phải bị nó xâm nhập vào làm cho sự lao động quá chừng đỗi thiên nhiên đã định, thôi thúc huyết mạch phải vận động một cách vô chừng mà làm cho sanh khí nơi phổi chẳng đủ ngày giờ nhuận huyết tinh sạch cho được. Trược huyết ấy thối lại cùng trong thân thể, để vật chất ô trược vào trong sanh vật. Mỗi khối ấy ăn nhằm phải bịnh, một ngày thêm một chút, hết cường tráng, cốt chỉ lần lần phải chết thì thân thể các con phải chết theo. Nhiều kẻ bị chết nửa thân, vì rượu nên ra đến đỗi? Thầy dạy về hại phần hồn các con, là khí chất (le sperme évaporé) nó bao bọc thân thể các con như khuôn bọc vậy, nơi trung tim của nó là óc, nơi cửa xuất nhập của nó là mỏ ác, gọi tiếng chữ là Vi Hộ; nơi ấy Hộ Pháp hằng đứng mà gìn giữ chơn linh các con khi luyện thành đạo, đặng hiệp một với Khí, rồi Khí mới thấu đến Chơn Thần hiệp một mà siêu phàm nhập Thánh; thì óc là nguồn cội của Khí mà óc cũng bị huyết mạch vận động vô chừng làm cho đến đỗi tán loạn đi thì chơn thần thế nào đặng an tịnh mà điều khiển; thân thể phải ra ngây dại, trở lại chất thú hình; mất phẩm nhơn loại rồi còn mong chi đặng phẩm Thần, Thánh, Tiên, Phật. Lại nữa, buổi loạn thần ấy để cửa trống cho tà mị xung đột vào, giục các con làm việc tội tình mà phải phận luân hồi muôn kiếp. Vậy Thầy cấm các con uống rượu nghe à!
27. Christianity and Judaism
28. Wine makes men foolish, and strong drink makes men come to blows; and whoever comes into error through these is not wise. ~ Proverbs 20:1, Holy Bible
29. He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: HE THAT LOVETH WINE AND OIL SHALL NOT BE RICH. ~ Proverbs 21:17, Holy Bible
30. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For THE DRUNKARD AND THE GLUTTON SHALL COME TO POVERTY: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags. ~ Proverbs 23:20-23:21, Holy Bible
31. Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long over wine, Those who go to taste mixed wine. ~ Proverbs 23:29-23:30, Holy Bible
32. Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly; At the last it bites like a serpent And stings like a viper. Your eyes will see strange things And your mind will utter perverse things. And you will be like one who lies down in the middle of the sea, Or like one who lies down on the top of a mast. ~ Proverbs 23:31-23:35, Holy Bible
33. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, It is not for kings to drink wine, Or for rulers to desire strong drink, For they will drink and forget what is decreed, And pervert the rights of all the afflicted. ~ Proverbs 31:4-31:5, Holy Bible
34. And DO NOT GET DRUNK WITH WINE, FOR THAT IS DISSIPATION, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord… ~ Ephesians 5:18-5:19, Holy Bible
35. Woe to those who rise early in the morning that they may pursue strong drink, Who stay up late in the evening that wine may inflame them! Their banquets are accompanied by lyre and harp, by tambourine and flute, and by wine; But they do not pay attention to the deeds of the LORD, Nor do they consider the work of His hands. ~ Isaiah 5:11-5:12, Holy Bible
36. Woe to those who are heroes in drinking wine And valiant men in mixing strong drink, Who justify the wicked for a bribe, And take away the rights of the ones who are in the right! ~ Isaiah 5:22-5:23, Holy Bible
37. Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: ~ Isaiah 28:1-28:3, Holy Bible
38. And these also reel with wine and stagger from strong drink: The priest and the prophet reel with strong drink, They are confused by wine, they stagger from strong drink; They reel while having visions, They totter when rendering judgment. ~ Isaiah 28:7, Holy Bible
39. Let us walk honesty, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. ~ Romans 13:13, Holy Bible
40. But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. ~ Daniel 1:8, Holy Bible
41. For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. ~ Titus 1:7-1:9, Holy Bible
42. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the YOUNG WOMEN TO BE SOBER, to love their husbands, to love their children… ~ Titus 2:3-2:4, Holy Bible
43. That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. ~ Peter 4:2-4:5, Holy Bible
44. The LORD then spoke to Aaron, saying, “DO NOT DRINK WINE OR STRONG DRINK, neither you nor your sons with you, when you come into the tent of meeting, so that you will not die—it is a perpetual statute throughout your generations— and so as to make a distinction between the holy and the profane, and between the unclean and the clean, and so as to teach the sons of Israel all the statutes which the LORD has spoken to them through Moses.” ~ Leviticus 10:8-10:11, Holy Bible
45. It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. ~ 1 Timothy 3:1-3:3, Holy Bible
46. Deacons in like manner must be grave, not double-tongued, NOT GIVEN TO MUCH WINE, not greedy of filthy lucre; holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. ~ 1 Timothy 3:8-3:9, Holy Bible
47. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither … thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. ~ 1 Corinthians 6:9-6:10, Holy Bible
48. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
49. “That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father” ~ Gospel Doctrine 89:5
50. That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him…. And, again, STRONG DRINKS ARE NOT FOR THE BELLY, but for the washing of your bodies. And again, TOBACCO IS NOT FOR THE BODY, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill. ~ The Doctrine and Covenants, Section 89
51. In the words of the Rambam, "Someone who gets drunk is a sinner." ALCOHOL, when used for the purpose of getting intoxicated, WOULD BE IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS DRUGS. ~ The Doctrine and Covenants, Section 89
54. Confucius said, “Out in the world, of service to high-ranking officials, in the home, of service to father and elder brothers. Venture not to be lax in matters of mourning, not to be ensnared by drinking wine. Indeed, what difficulty for me?” ~ Lun Yu, Chapter 9, Verse 15
55. Hòa Hảo Buddhism
56. Stay away from places that sell wine ABSTAIN FROM INTOXICANTS, GAMBLING, AND DRUGS Wise men shun all of them For ALL THEY BRING IS DISGRACE AND SHAME. ~ Wisdom of the Mad Man, Book 2, page 59
Religion: Phật Giáo Hòa Hảo Scripture: Kệ Dân của Người Khùng, Q. 2 Chốn tửu điếm ta nên xa lánh Tứ đổ tường đừng có nhiễm vào Người tránh xa mới gọi trí cao Sa bốn vách mang điều nhơ nhuốc.
58. “Killing a priest, drinking liquor, stealing, violating a/the guru’s marriage bed, and associating with those (who commit these acts) are called the major crimes”. ~ Manu Smriti 11:55
59. “For liquor is the defiling dirt excreted from rice, and dirt is said to be evil; therefore a priest, ruler, or commoner should not drink liquor.” ~ Manu Smriti 11:94
60. A Brahmana (Knower of God), stupefied by drunkenness, might fall on something impure, or (improperly) pronounce Vedic (texts), or commit some other act which ought not to be committed.
Brahmana means Knower of God.
~ Manu Smriti 11:97
61. A twice-born man who has (intentionally) drunk, through delusion of mind, (the spirituous liquor called) Sura shall drink that liquor boiling-hot; when his body has been completely scalded by that, he is freed from his guilt; Or he may drink cow's urine, water, milk, clarified butter or (liquid) cowdung boiling-hot, until he dies; Or, in order to remove (the guilt of) drinking Sura, he may eat during a year once (a day) at night grains (of rice) or oilcake, wearing clothes made of cowhair and his own hair in braids and carrying (a wine cup as) a flag. ~ Manu Smriti 11:91-11:93
62. Sura (liquor) one must know to be of three kinds, that distilled from molasses (gaudi), that distilled from ground rice, and that distilled from Madhuka-flowers (madhvi); as the one (named above) even so are all (three sorts) forbidden to the chief of the twice-born.
Sura means liquor.
~ Manu Smriti 11:95
63. When the Brahman (Knower of God) which dwells in his body is (even) once (only) deluged with spirituous liquor, his Brahmanhood forsakes him and he becomes a Sudra (the servant class).
Brahman means Knower of God. Sudra means the servant class.
~ Manu Smriti 11:98
64. Hunting, gambling, sleeping by day, censoriousness, (excess with) women, drunkenness, (an inordinate love for) dancing, singing, and music, and useless travel are the tenfold set (of vices) springing from love of pleasure. ~ Manu Smriti 7:47
65. Drinking, dice, women, and hunting, these four (which have been enumerated) in succession, he must know to be the most pernicious in the set that springs from love of pleasure. ~ Manu Smriti 7:50
66. A Brahmana (Knower of God) who drinks (the spirituous liquor called) Sura shall enter (the bodies) of small and large insects, of moths, of birds, feeding on ordure, and of destructive beasts.
Brahmana means Knower of God.
~ Manu Smriti 12:56
67. He who wrangles or goes to law with his father, the keeper of a gambling-house, a drunkard, he who is afflicted with a disease (in punishment of former) crimes, he who is accused of a mortal sin, a hypocrite … and he who cavils at the Veda must (all) be avoided. ~ Manu Smriti 3:159-3:161
68. Quaffed juices fight within the breast. The drunken praise not by their wine, The naked praise not when it rains. ~ Rigveda 8:2:12
69. Thou findest not the wealthy man to be thy friend: those scorn thee who are flown with wine….O Indra, let us not, like fools who waste their lives at home, with friendship such as thine, sit idly by the poured-out juice. ~ Rigveda 8:21:14 – 8:21:15
71. They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin…" ~ Qur'an 2:219
72. O ye who believe! Strong drink and games of chance and idols and divining arrows are only an infamy of Satan ' s handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed. ~ Qur’an 5:90
73. "Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of God, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?" ~ Qur’an 5:91
75. “ALCOHOL STUPEFIES THE MIND; one whose mind is stupefied forgets piety; and the person who forgets piety commits violence without hesitation.” ~ Purushärtha Siddhi-Upäya
77. The Sikh shall ABSTAIN FROM THE USE OF DRUGS, ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO. ~ Sikh vows
78. "The body is the pitcher, selfhood the wine; And society is of craving and outgoing of the mind. Yes, Desire is drinking bowl brimming over with falsehood; And Yama (the god of death) is the bar-man. DRINKING SUCH A WINE, WHO CAN EARN ANYTHING BUT VICE AND SIN?"
Yama means the god of death.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 553
79. "One man offers wine and another pours it himself; IT MAKES HIM CRAZY AND SENSELESS AND DEVOID OF ALL REASON. Then one cannot distinguish between one's own and another's and is cursed by God. Drinking it, one forsakes one's Master and is punished at the Lord's Court. Yes, DRINK NOT THIS VICIOUS WINE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES." ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 554
80. The Great Giver has given the intoxicating drug of falsehood. The people are intoxicated; they have forgotten death, and they have fun for a few days. THOSE WHO DO NOT USE INTOXICANTS ARE TRUE; they dwell in the Court of the Lord. O Nanak, know the True Lord as True. Serving Him, peace is obtained; you shall go to His Court with honor. The Wine of Truth is not fermented from molasses. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 15
81. Maya torments us in so many ways. But the Saints live under Your Protection, God. It torments us through intoxication with intellectual pride. It torments us through the love of children and spouse. It torments us through elephants, horses and beautiful clothes. It torments us through the intoxication of wine and the beauty of youth…. It torments us through everything, except for those who are imbued with the Love of the Lord. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 182
82. The demented fool drinks in the deadly poison, while he believes the Ambrosial Naam (essence of God) to be bitter. He does not even approach the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; he wanders lost through 8.4 million incarnations.
Naam means essence of God.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 180
83. Eating, drinking, playing and laughing, I have wandered through countless incarnations. Please, God, lift me up and out of the terrifying world-ocean. Nanak seeks Your Support. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 261
84. God the Banker gives endless capital to the mortal, who eats, drinks and expends it with pleasure and joy. If some of this capital is later taken back by the Banker, the ignorant person shows his anger. He himself destroys his own credibility, and he shall not again be trusted. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 261
85. Those who went astray from the Primal Being in the very beginning - where can they find refuge? O Nanak, they are struck down by the All-powerful, the Cause of causes. They take the noose in their hands, and go out at night to strangle others, but God knows everything, O mortal. They spy on other men's women, concealed in their hiding places.
They break into well-protected places, and revel in sweet wine. But they shall come to regret their actions - they create their own bad karma (retribution). Azraa-eel, the Angel of Death, shall crush them like sesame seeds in the oil-press.
Karma means retribution.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 315
86. "Whoever uses bhang (a preparation made from Indian hemp), fish and wine; Whatever pilgrimages, fasting and daily rites they may perform, They all go to hell."
Bhang is a preparation made from Indian hemp.
~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 1377
87. Intoxicated with pride, you cheat yourself; you have not enshrined the Word of the Guru's Shabad within your mind. Those who are deluded by sensual pleasures, who are tempted by sexual delights and enjoy wine are corrupt. But those who, through destiny and good karma, join the Society of the Saints, float over the ocean, like iron attached to wood. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 335
88. The Dark Age of Kali Yuga is the bottle of wine; Maya is the sweet wine, and the intoxicated mind continues to drink it in. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 350
89. One person brings a full bottle, and another fills his cup. Drinking the wine, his intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind; he cannot distinguish between his own and others, and he is struck down by his Lord and Master. Drinking it, he forgets his Lord and Master, and he is punished in the Court of the Lord. Do not drink the false wine at all, if it is in your power. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 554
90. One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru: He is the Giver of peace to the breath of life, the Giver of life to the soul; how can you forget Him, you ignorant person? You taste the weak, insipid wine, and you have gone insane. You have uselessly wasted this precious human life. O man, such is the foolishness you practice. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 1001
91. Even if wine is made from the water of the Ganges, O Saints, do not drink it. ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib, 1293
93. When palaces are kept up Fields are left to weeds And granaries empty; Wearing fine clothes, Bearing sharp swords, Glutting with food and drink, Hoarding wealth and possessions - These are the ways of theft, And far from the Way. ~ Tao Te Ching
95. When, O Mazda, will the nobles understand the message? When will thou smite the filthiness of this intoxicant, through which the Karapans evilly deceive, and the wicked lords of the lands with purpose fell? - Yasna 48:10, Avesta