(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
150 grams starch
100 grams sugar
50 grams vegan butter
½ cup rosewater
1½ cups water
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the sugar with 1 cup of water. Let the sugar dissolve.
- Pour the starch into a bowl, add in the rosewater and ½ cup of water.
- Stir the starch well and then sift the starch through a sieve into a bowl.
- Cook the sugar water mixture on high heat until it boils. This will take for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the starch into the sugar water. Use wooden spoon to stir.
- Stir the mixture continuously so that it becomes hardened for about 10 minutes.
- Use low heat.
- Add the cardamom powder. Keep stirring.
- Meanwhile, prepare a large tray, spread the plastic cling wrap over the tray and sprinkle over the coconut powder on it.
- When the starch mixture becomes quite elastic, this is the stage to add the butter.
- Stir the mix butter and starch completely so that there is no oily residue around the pot.
- Turn the heat off, let it cool down, and then add in the vanilla. Stir.
- There 2 ways to form the mixture. First to make it a bite-sized, take some mixture, form it into a ball, cover it with the coconut powder and put a walnut on top. Place it in a dish and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Second, to make it as a roll.
- To make it into a roll, put the mixture on top of the coconut powder.
- Spread the mixture completely and evenly with the thickness about less than 1 centimeter.
- Shape it into a rectangular shape.
- Put the walnut on top. Lay the walnuts around the edge, so that each walnut overlaps the previous one.
- Make sure the coconut powder doesn’t get into the mixture, but stays on the outside layer.
- Take the end of the plastic cling wrap, with the thumbs and index fingers on the walnuts, flip it over slowly.
- In each step of rolling, press it well with hands so that the starch forms a tight roll.
- Don’t let it cool because if it cools too much, then it won’t stick together.
- Remove the roll without the plastic wrap and put it on a plate, and keep it refrigerated for about 7-8 hours.
- When the time over, take out the roll sprinkle some pistachio powder and some walnuts on the side to decorate it.
- Slice the baslogh to serve.