(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
Napa cabbage leaves
Shredded wood ear fungus
Vegan ham strips
5-spiced tofu strips
¼ teaspoon sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vegetable seasoning
½ cup water
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sesame oil
3 teaspoons corn starch
1 tablespoon vegan oyster sauce
- Boil some water to cook the napa leaves.
- Add in a little bit of oil and salt, and then add in the napa leaves.
- Cook the napa leaves until they become soft. Boil for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Soak the boiled leaves in some cold water so it won’t turn yellow.
- Drain the water, and put the leaves aside.
- Put some oil in the frying pan and heat it.
- Add a little bit of sugar and salt into the oil.
- First, stir fry the shiitake mushrooms, next the wood ear fungus, and then the dried tofu.
- Add in the shredded carrots.
- Add in a little bit of water, some seasoning.
- Add in the jicama.
- Add in the shredded vegan ham.
- Fry the mixture for about 2-3 minutes, then pour it out to be used as filling.
- Prepare the steamer and boil some water.
- Meanwhile, wrap the roll. Spread out the leaves, add some stuffing. Place the stuffing closer to the side, nearer to you. Press the filling firmly. Fold the two sides in, and then roll the whole thing forward, and that’s it. If some leaves are torn, patch the hole with smaller leaves.
- When the water in the steamer already boils, put all the rolls into the stearmer. Steam it for about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Add 1 tablespoon of vegan oyster sauce, a little salt, a little sugar, and a little bit of sesame oil.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Mix it with the sauce mixture.
- Take out the roll from the steamer. Place it on a dish nicely.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a wok, pour the sauce mixture into the wok. Add in some water. The sauce should be not too thick nor too watery.
- Pour the sauce over the rolls, all the way through.
- Sprinkle some minced veggie ham on top.
- Ready to be served.