(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)
2 cups basmati or Uncle Ben’s brand rice
3 sprigs thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks scallion, crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 pint green pigeon peas or red kidney beans (precooked)
½–1 cup coconut milk (more, if desired)
2½ cups water (or required amount for rice cooker)
1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- Prepare the coconut milk.
- Soak the raw peas overnight in 2-4 cups of water with about 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Add fresh ginger root into the peas.
- Put the rice that has been rinse well into the rice cooker.
- Add in 2 cups of water just enough to cover the rice.
- Add in the chopped garlic, the blackpepper, and then the peas.
- Add in the scallion.
- Add in half cup of coconut milk.
- Add in 3 sprigs of thyme.
- And the last thing, add in the scotch bonnet pepper.
- Cook the rice with all the ingredients.
- When the rice is already cooked, take out the spices and then the rice and peas are ready.
- The rice can be served by itself or with vegan chicken, vegan fish, or anything.