Ripe yellow plantains Ground vegan protein Vegan deli slices
(Tofurky brand, vegan ham, etc.)
Vegan cheese slices or shreds (Daiya brand)
Vegan parmesan cheese
- Cut the bell peppers into small squares.
- Dice the onion and half of a tomato.
- Pre-heat some oil, and then add in the vegetables.
- Add a little liquid seasoning, and let them cook for a while.
- Meanwhile, take the chopped vegan meat, and put it in a mixing bowl with the seasoning.
- Add in the vegan meat into the vegetables.
- Add in the tomato sauce and a little water. Mix it.
- Stir a little and let it absorb the flavor of the seasoning.
- Put the lid on for a while.
- Meanwhile, take the plantains and peel them. Open a little slot in the peeling, and peel it by hand.
- Put a little water to boil.
- Add in a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt into the water.
- Add in the plantains to boil. When the plantains already soft and well-done, put them in a container. Drain the water.
- When the vegan meat is ready, put it on a container for use later. The meat shouldn’t be too dry or too wet.
- Start mashing the plantain in the same container so it became like a paste.
- Add in a little vegan butter. If the plantains are a little harder, use a bit of soy milk.
- Add in the vegan cheese powder, mix it well.
- Once the plantain is well mashed, place a layer of plantains on a pan which has been covered by a little of vegan butter.
- Add the second layer with vegan protein, or vegan meat. Sprinkle it over the pan evenly.
- Add a little vegan cheese on top.
- Continue by adding another layer of plantains on top.
- Add a little more of vegan cheese on top.
- Put it in the oven until browned for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make sure the plantains is well cooked, put a knife in the middle, if the knife comes out a little dirty, it means that is not yet ready to serve.
- For the second pan, use some vegan deli slices and vegan cheese (tofu) slices as the filling.
- Butter the pan first, and make a first layer with plantain, the second layer with vegan deli slices.
- Make the third layer with the vegan cheese.
- Add a layer of plantains on top.
- Add another layer with vegan deli slices and vegan cheese.
- Place it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until the vegan cheese is nicely browned, toasted.
- The Ripe Plantain Pastelón can be served with rice, salad or just simply alone.