For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available
½ kilogram potatoes
1 kilogram wheat flour
Fresh coriander as needed
Fresh ginger or ginger powder
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
Served with chutney
made from 2 tomatoes,
2 green chilies,
a little salt, and coriander
- Use spoon to add the flour.
- Mix together the oil, the flour, and the baking powder together with the yeast and salt.
- Add some water and make the dough. Use sufficient water so that the dough becomes sticky, not too soft nor too hard, and takes the shape of a ball.
- The dough should be a consistency that doesn’t stick to the hands nor the bowl.
- Leave the dough for about 5 to 10 minutes so that it settles and rises.
- Put a plastic cover on it or spread a piece of cloth over it.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling for the dumpling.
- Add the potato to the oil, leave it until it is fried a little.
- Chop the fresh coriander. Add it into the potato.
- Add the ginger and the black pepper, then the coriander seeds, and the cumin.
- Add in the salt.
- Mix the potato with the coriander and spices.
- When the potato is fried, take it out and place onto a clean dish.
- Let the potato cooled. This potato can be uses as a filling, or eat it with bread, or serve it with salad.
- Take a wooden board and prepare the dough.
- Make the dough in the shape of small balls.
- Add some of the dry flour so that the dough won’t stick to the board.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a circle, not very thin not very thick but medium thick. Make sure to make a real circle.
- If you don’t get a circle shape, use a plate on the dough and cut around the plate. Then the circle will be very nice.
- Take a knife, cut the circle in the middle, so there are two semi-circles.
- Fold the semi circle and fold the other edge too and press them together. Now it forms a funnel.
- Put 1 spoonful of the filling mixture into the funnel. Close the top of the funnel.
- Put in on the board and slowly close the top.
- When all the small balls become the dumpling, heat some oil in a frying pan and put the dumpling into the pan one by one.
- Fried the dumpling.
- Decorate a plate with lettuce, young onion and green chili.
- This dumplings can be eaten with a chutney made with 2 tomatoes, 2 green chilies, a little salt and coriander. If you like, you can add garlic in it, and then mix it, and eat it with the dumplings.
- Ready to be served.