(For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available)Vegan Spicy Italian Sausages
(Makes 12 – 16)Dry Ingredients
¾ cup pearl barley (dry)
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 cup nutritional yeastDry Seasonings
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
2 tablespoons crushed fennel seeds
2 tablespoons basil
1 tablespoon oreganoWet Ingredients
¾ cup water
8 ounces firm tofu
1 tablespoon “Better than Bouillon” veg base
4 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
2 tablespoons Gravy Master
¼ cup olive oil
⅓ cup minced roasted red pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlicOma’s German Potato Salad
3 pounds red potatoes, diced and cooked
¼ cup Baco Bits (vegan imitation bacon bits)
½ Vidalia onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
½ cup kosher pickles, chopped
¾ cup Italian dressing
⅓ cup Vegenaise or other soy mayo
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepperItalian Tomato Salad
4–5 large tomatoes, sliced into wedges
1 Vidalia onion, chopped finely
1 large cucumber diced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons fresh basil or (1 tablespoon dry)
¼ cup vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to tasteVegan Spicy Italian Sausages
Oma’s German Potato Salad
- Cook ¾ cup of dry barley in 1½ cups of water.
- Combine all the wet ingredients inside the blender with ¾ cup of water.
- Blend the wet ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Add in the cooked barley.
- Pulse the barley a little bit to get the texture.
- In a bowl, add in the dry ingredients, start with the wheat gluten, the nutritional yeast, the salt, oregano, lots of basil, pepper, sage, some cumin, some dried minced onions, paprika.
- For the fennel seeds, break them down a little bit by using a coffee grinder and then put them into the bowl.
- Chop the red pepper very finely and then put them into the bowl.
- Add in the garlic into the bowl.
- Pour in the wet ingredient into the bowl, and then kneed them all for a few minutes until they form the consistency of a soft dough.
- Adjust the amount of wheat gluten; use your best judgment on that. It might depend on how much moisture the tofu had.
- Set aside the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Pre-heated the oven to 325 degrees.
- To make the vegan sausage links, use tinfoil pieces that are about 4 or 5 inches.
- To do the links, divide the dough in half with hands.
- Divide each half into another half and then into another half again. So there will be 16 vegan sausages.
- Place the dough on the tin foil and shape them into a sausage.
- Fold it, roll it and then gently twist it at the end. Just don’t make this too tight because the vegan sausage will plump up as it bakes in the oven.
- Place the sausage rolls on the cookie sheet.
- Place them into the oven for about 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, open them and unroll them, and let them cool off completely.
- Grill the vegan sausage shortly and just finish them off a little bit with some nice grill marks.
- For serving, put on plate a nice whole wheat bun and some sautéed onions and peppers as a condiment, a little bit of potato salad and lots of tomato salad.
Italian Tomato Salad
- Cut the potatoes into about 1 inch chunks and cook them for about 10 minutes in some water. The potatoes should be tender and not too mushy.
- Minced up some pickles into small chunks. Mince the organic celery finely.
- Chop the vidalia onion.
- Drain the potatoes, and add all the ingredients together.
- Mix them all up.
- This potato salad can be served warm or cold.
- Rinse the tomatoes and the cucumbers well.
- Cut the tomatoes. Peel the cucumbers and then cut them into half inch slice.
- Put both of them into a bowl.
- Chop the fresh basil. Add into the bowl.
- Add in the dried oregano.
- Finely chop the Vidalia onion and add in into the bowl.
- Add in the salt and black pepper.
- Pour in the vegetable oil over the top and just mix it up gently.
- Once all mixed up, just cover it up and put them in the refrigerator for a few hours.