For all ingredients, please use organic versions if available
1 cup gram dal
1 chopped onion
1 cup oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 spoonful minced garlic
Green chili, chopped
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon red chili
1 spoonful cumin seeds
1 spoonful coriander powder
- Preheat 2 spoonfuls of oil in a pan.
- Then, put in a spoonful of garlic into the pan, and sauté it until golden brown.
- Add in a spoonful of ginger until it is golden brown.
- Add in the tomato until it becomes dried.
- Add in the spices: turmeric, salt, red chili, cumin, and coriander.
- Mix them all and let the tomato juice dry in it.
- Add in the dal. Mix it.
- Pour in the tamarind water.
- Cover the pan for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the cover off. And let it cook for a while.
- When the dal has become soft and cooked nicely, put them in a bowl and garnish it with some coriander and some green chili.
- Put some oil in a frying pan and let it hot.
- Add in some onions and cook the onions in the heated oil until they become brown.
- Add in some cumin in it.
- When their fragrant, pour them into the cooked dal.
- The gram dal with tamarind is ready to eat.