8 ounces organic tempeh, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons organic rice vinegar
2 tablespoons organic soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegan poultry seasoning
1½ tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons organic ketchup
¼ cup Vegenaise (vegan mayonnaise spread)
4 tablespoons water
¼ cup green onion, chopped
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chopped celery
* Bread, lettuce, tomato slices,
and vegan butter spread to make
a “Tempeh Chickenless Salad Sandwich”
* Or with tortilla chips as a “Tempeh Chickenless Salad Dip”
- To prepare the tempeh, turn on the burner to high heat.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- Cut the tempeh into small pieces, and add it straight to the liquid.
- Give it a good stir. It takes about 10-15 minutes for the liquid to absorb into the tempeh.
- Turn the burner off.
- While the tempeh is still warm, add about 1 tablespoon of the vegan poultry seasoning.
- Stir it really good and allow the tempeh to cool off.
- While waiting, chop up the vegetables for the dressing.
- Start with the celery. Cut it about the same size as the tempeh.
- Place the celery in the big bowl. And then cut the parsley and the green onion.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of Vegenaise, 2 tablespoons of organic ketchup, and 2 tablespoons of organic mustard.
- Stir them well.
- In the same sauce pan, crumble the tempeh a little bit. Add this into the dressing. Stir it, mix it really well.
- The tempeh is ready to be served.
- Take the sandwich bun, and cut it in half.
- Spread the sandwich with a little bit of soy butter and a little bit of the tempeh spread, some lettuce and a nice sliced tomato. And then top it with the half bun.
- The sandwich is ready. It can be served with a nice tossed salad with citrus and strawberry in a light vinaigrette dressing. Or use the tempeh salad as a dip and serve that with tortilla chips.