Lack of hygiene closes fish, meat processors
US food safety officials are seeking permanent closure of a New York fish processing plant after objectionable sanitary violations went unresolved for many years. The violations included finding live maggots at the facility and warning letters asking for corrections that had been sent to the company as far back as 2001.
Meanwhile, a butcher in Staffordshire, United Kingdom was temporarily closed when the dangerous E. coli bacterium was found at the facility. E. coli infection, which can cause kidney failure, is most commonly spread through by animal fecal material that contaminates meat.
We are gladdened to know of these official efforts to safeguard the public from unhygienic food. Our prayers for the day to swiftly come when both animals and humans are safe from such horrific conditions as people everywhere know the vibrant health of a plant-based diet.